Often, as an entry into special needs parenthood, moms and dads are given a poem by Emily Perl Kingsley titled “Welcome to Holland.” This poem explains to the reader how it feels to arrive in Holland when you were planning a dream vacation to Italy. Suz and Diane chat about this poem and how it makes each of them feel throughout an often isolating, surprising form of parenthood.
Topics you do not want to miss:
- Welcome to Holland – the poem
- This poem is comforting to some, and hurts others
- Italy isn’t always perfect
- ‘My barn burned down’ metaphor
Where to Listen:
You can listen to this episode of When Autumn Comes Podcast wherever you prefer to stream your pods (think: Apple Podcast or Spotify). OR you can listen here!
Links and resources:
- Welcome to Holland Poem: http://www.dsasc.ca/uploads/8/5/3/9/8539131/welcome_to_holland.pdf
- The Trouble with Welcome to Holland’ blog post by Kristen Groseclose: https://smithkingsmore.org/the-trouble-with-welcome-to-holland/
- Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/WhenAutumnComesPodcast
- Join us in the WAC Society: www.facebook.com/WhenAutumnComesSociety
- Follow us on Instagram: @WhenAutumnComesPodcast
- Follow Diane on Insta: @Diane.Kay.Erdman
- Follow Susan on Insta: @suzgeoghegan
Make sure you hit SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out on our upcoming stories of medical and special needs parenting from families like yours.
And, if you enjoyed this episode, please leave us a 5 star rating and a review! Thank You!